How to avoid RCS and use git always?

Richard Kimberly Heck rikiheck at lyx.org
Thu Dec 17 21:45:53 UTC 2020

On 12/17/20 11:22 AM, Scott Kostyshak wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 17, 2020 at 12:15:17PM +0100, Matěj Cepl wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am trying to persuade my wife to start using VCS for her
>> documents, and avoid pressing her to use command line for it. I
>> thought that just by running git init in the directory her
>> documents are stored, LyX would understand that I want to use git
>> exclusively, but it still suggests RCS. I have to git add and git
>> commit the document to make LyX understand my preferences.
>>
>> Is there somewhere some option which would switch off RCS for her
>> forever?
>>
>> Best,
>>
>> Matěj
> Hi Matěj,
>
>  From what I understand, the reason that things are the way they are in
> LyX is that git was added "recently". I'm not sure about adding an
> option/preference. In general, we are hesitant to add preferences like
> this, and I believe you're the first one to ask for it.
>
> One possibility that *might* satisfy you would be to default to Git if
> RCS is not detected on the system. For example, on Linux if the command
> "ci" is not available and the command "git" is available, LyX could just
> assume Git is intended and can do the setup. However, I'm not sure what
> I think of that and I'm not sure what other LyX developers think of
> that.
>
> Although I'm also a gitophile, in my opinion the biggest downside to
> choosing Git by default and to LyX doing "git init" is that Git can
> create lots of files (in its internal .git directory). I do not know if
> users would expect this and especially since using Dropbox is so common,
> users might be surprised and confused (by Dropbox syncing) from the
> creation of so many files.

We could at least give users the choice when choosing "Version Control>
Register" of what to use. This could be as simple as a combo box, right?

It would also be nice, I think, if we could detect if we're in a
directory controlled by git and, if so, regsiter the file using git.
This is as easy as checking the return value of 'git status'. With svn,
I think 'svn log' will work. I don't know about other cases.

Riki