Tab autocomplete behavior in tables

Paul A. Rubin parubin73 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 7 16:34:44 UTC 2020

On 12/7/20 5:51 AM, Pavel Sanda wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 30, 2020 at 08:08:44PM -0500, Paul A. Rubin wrote:
>> An interesting related behavior has to do with the escape key. In other
>> programs (such as programming IDEs), if I get autocompletion hints I don't
>> want, I typically hit the escape key to get rid of them. So, having
>> reproduced the problem with Maria's help, my instinct was to hit Esc and
>> then Tab ... except Esc boots me out of the table. I can understand the
>> logic (sort of), but I wonder if there is a way to repurpose the escape key
>> to just stop hints without moving the cursor?
> Sorry to join the party little bit late.
> The non functional Esc is in your case table+preferebce of automatic menu in text, right?
> Does the Esc works correct when you have menu in math mode? (Vaguely I remember fixing
> this long time ago, but maybe the text part was missed.)
>
> Pavel
Pavel,

Yes, in math mode hitting the ESC key while a completion suggestion is
visible removes the suggestion (and the characters that triggered it)
but leaves the cursor in the correct position. For instance, if (in a
math inset) I type "xyz\ta" I get a suggested completion "xyz\tan". If I
hit ESC, the inset contents revert to "xyz" with the cursor after the
"z" and inside the inset.

Paul