how to create a child document

Richard Kimberly Heck rikiheck at lyx.org
Wed Aug 19 20:00:51 UTC 2020

On 8/19/20 3:24 AM, Wolfgang Engelmann wrote:
> I want to create a child document for chapter 1 of a book
> (Koma-script) in LyX. In the help file 'Embedded Objects' it is, as
> far as I can see, not described how to create it.
> What I do:
> 1- In the table of content of the outline I go to chapter 1 and
> mouse-click right.
> 2- I select section (which is actually a chapter) which blues the
> chapter (except the title of the chapter)
> 3- I choose Insert > file > child document
> 4- A box pops up 'LyX Child Document' and here I am lost:
> There is a line File: ..... Browse ...
> but if I enter in either File or Browse a name for the child, say
> Chapter_1 I am told that the file could not be found.
>
> Could somebody kindly tell me what has to be done in order to get the
> selected chapter exported as a child?

Create the document first, in the normal way (File> New). Then cut and
paste the content into it. (Probably make sure you have the same
document class, etc, first.) Then include the new document in the old one.

Alternatively: Use your OS to copy the original file to Chapter_1.lyx.
Then delete everything except chapter 1. Then remove Chapter 1 from the
old file and instead include the new file. (That may be easiest, in the
end.)

Riki