ctests for Additioonal.lyx lyx2lyx round trip failing on master

Scott Kostyshak skostysh at lyx.org
Tue Jan 26 18:25:30 UTC 2021

On Tue, Jan 26, 2021 at 06:42:44PM +0100, Kornel Benko wrote:
> Am Tue, 26 Jan 2021 18:15:02 +0100
> schrieb Jürgen Spitzmüller <spitz at lyx.org>:
>
> > Am Dienstag, dem 26.01.2021 um 11:58 -0500 schrieb Scott Kostyshak:
> > > I see. I think I understand now. For the first column, the newline
> > > insets are replaced with ERT, where as for the second and third
> > > columns,
> > > the new paragraphs are not replaced with ERT so the reversion routine
> > > keeps being triggered. A potential solution would be to replace the
> > > paragraph breaks with ERT so they would not trigger reversion
> > > routines.
> >
> > Yes, but this solution would only please the tests and annoy normal
> > users.
> >
> > Jürgen
> >

> The reversions are important if peoples work with the same lyx-file but have different
> lyx-versions. (I pretend to see also these peoples as normal users)
> Therefore the exchange is done through export. Not nice if, over the time, the ERT's are
> more and more polluting the document.
>
> The reason for these reversion tests was exactly this scenario. (Maybe not sufficient, but
> certainly better than nothing)

True. I personally agree with you that the convergence tests are useful.
But I do not think the "cost" of keeping them is nothing. And I can
understand if others find them more annoying than useful. I started a
log at d3065cee here:

  development/autotests/ctests-costs-benefits.txt

I'll try to update it from time to time. It won't be complete, but
perhaps it can at least serve as a basis for future discussion and
decisions.

Scott