ctests for Additioonal.lyx lyx2lyx round trip failing on master

Scott Kostyshak skostysh at lyx.org
Tue Jan 26 17:42:15 UTC 2021

On Tue, Jan 26, 2021 at 06:15:02PM +0100, Jürgen Spitzmüller wrote:
> Am Dienstag, dem 26.01.2021 um 11:58 -0500 schrieb Scott Kostyshak:
> > I see. I think I understand now. For the first column, the newline
> > insets are replaced with ERT, where as for the second and third
> > columns,
> > the new paragraphs are not replaced with ERT so the reversion routine
> > keeps being triggered. A potential solution would be to replace the
> > paragraph breaks with ERT so they would not trigger reversion
> > routines.
>
> Yes, but this solution would only please the tests and annoy normal
> users.

Agreed, makes sense. If I get to it, I'll write up some of this
discussion in Development.lyx since I imagine we'll come across it in
the future.

The conversion tests might not be that interesting directly, but in the
past the conversion tests have found real bugs that have been fixed. So
we run them if they are "working", and if there's an expected break in
them (as now), we just ignore/invert them. However if the "real bugs"
the tests find are determined to be minor enough that the cost of time
and annoyance of even figuring out whether a break in conversion is
expected or unexpected, we should discuss removing the conversion
checks. Unfortunately, I haven't kept a log of which bugs have been
fixed because of the conversion checks so it is hard to do this
cost/benefit analysis. I can try to start keeping a log.

Scott