Alpha 2? Beta 1?

Thibaut Cuvelier tcuvelier at lyx.org
Mon Jan 25 18:59:02 UTC 2021

On Mon, 25 Jan 2021 at 19:31, Richard Kimberly Heck <rikiheck at lyx.org>
wrote:

> Hi, all,
>
> A couple fairly significant regressions have now been fixed in Alpha 1,
> so it looks like time to do another release. The default would be to go
> with Alpha 2. But, besides some missing layout files (my fault) and a
> problem opening files, we have not had any serious bug reports from
> Alpha 1 (that aren't already in 2.3.x). Should we think about a beta
> release? To be honest, I don't know myself what people think the
> difference is between the two, so I'd welcome suggestions.

I would really like to ship an ePub export in 2.4, building upon the
DocBook export. I think I could work on that this week.

For alpha vs. beta, I often see that alpha is near-release, but not yet
feature-frozen, while the developers would like feedback on the current
state of the software; beta is feature-frozen, with only bug fixes included
in one release to the other (RC meaning that only critical bug fixes are
being fixed).