CMake on Windows

Thibaut Cuvelier tcuvelier at lyx.org
Thu Jan 21 17:26:38 UTC 2021

Dear list, and Pavel mostly :)

I'm starting again to configure LyX on Windows, and the CMake files do not
behave as expected.

I am setting -DLYX_DEPENDENCIES_DOWNLOAD=1 on the command line, but this is
what it outputs:

"C:\Program Files\JetBrains\CLion\bin\cmake\win\bin\cmake.exe"
-DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Debug -DLYX_DEPENDENCIES_DOWNLOAD=1 -G "CodeBlocks -
NMake Makefiles" D:\Thibaut\LyX
-- TOP_SRC_DIR = D:/Thibaut/LyX
--
-- Building out-of-source
-- Selecting build type defaults from configure.ac

It really looks like the parameter I set is disregarded (as if the check is
done before any downloading can happen). My CMake skills do not allow me to
debug this thoroughly…

Moreover, the variables MSVC14 and MSVC10 are discouraged since CMake 3.8:
https://cmake.org/cmake/help/v3.8/variable/MSVC14.html. Plus, the same set
of dependencies can be used for Visual C++ 2017 and 2019, which the current
code cannot do (and there are no more MSVC variables for these). I am
joining a patch to switch to the now recommended MSVC_VERSION. It is
untested due to the above issue.