Feature Request from Doug Martin and Tom Philips

Paul A. Rubin parubin73 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 19 18:27:18 UTC 2021

On 1/19/21 12:03 PM, Doug Martin wrote:
> Scott (and all),
>
> I have attached the LYX segment from one of our book chapters, along
> with a page from the compiled pdf file that contains
> the resulting Table TS-2.1.
>
> This tiny example illustrates how we currently make most of our tables
> using the kableExtra package (kable is included in knitr),
> and if we had an R script to produce an LYX Table with the data frame
> (or data.table) as input, we would surely use it.
>
> FYI, in case you want to compile the LYX file, you just need to strip
> out the Springer svmono (book templates) stuff, etc., in the
> LaTeX preamble, install knitr and kableExtra from CRAN, and install
> the optimalPsiRho package with:
>
> devtools::install_github("kjellpk/optimalRhoPsi").
>
> Just before sending this I noticed the several other emails on the
> topic, and will take a look at them.
>
> Thanks,
> Doug
>
> On Mon, Jan 18, 2021 at 11:27 AM Scott Kostyshak <skostysh at lyx.org
> <mailto:skostysh at lyx.org>> wrote:
>
>     On Mon, Jan 18, 2021 at 11:03:49AM -0800, Doug Martin wrote:
>     > On Mon, Jan 18, 2021 at 10:41 AM Scott Kostyshak
>     <skostysh at lyx.org <mailto:skostysh at lyx.org>> wrote:
>     >
>     > > On Mon, Jan 18, 2021 at 07:25:42PM +0100, Jean-Marc Lasgouttes
>     wrote:
>     > > > Le 14/01/2021 à 05:34, Doug Martin a écrit :
>     > > > > JMarc and all,
>     > > > >
>     > > > > Tom and I use knitr extensively for R code chunks, and we
>     mostly use
>     > > > > kable with kableExtra to make tables.
>     > > > > The input to kable are R data frames, or data.tables,
>     which are the
>     > > > > result of model fitting and related calculations.
>     > > > > But we like to put mathematical expressions in selected
>     cells of
>     > > tables,
>     > > > > which is so easy with LYX tables, and we currently
>     > > > > have to make the data entry into LYX by hand from data
>     tables and
>     > > > > data.tables in order to make use of that feature.
>     > > > > So it would be great if we could import R data tables and
>     data.tables
>     > > > > into LYX tables, rather than using the kable/kableExtra
>     > > > > solution for our tables  (maybe I didn't make that clear
>     in my earlier
>     > > > > email).  Then we would probably would drop use of
>     > > > > kable/kableExtra.
>     > > >
>     > > > So you want to import as .tex the result of R processing.
>     This can be
>     > > done
>     > > > via "Paste from LaTeX". What would be missing for your
>     intended usage?
>     > >
>     > > From what I understand, they would like to import a .Rds file
>     without
>     > > having to manually convert it to LaTeX.
> [...]
Doug,

If I am understanding your example correctly, you actually redo the R
calculations each time you compile the LyX document. Is that a desired
feature, or would you be just as happy running the R code once and
parking the generated table in the LyX document? I ask because elsewhere
in the thread I pointed out (in a reply to Riki) that one can use a
custom R function (which you could set up to load by default whenever
you crank up R) to convert a data frame or table to LaTeX and copy the
LaTeX code to the clipboard. After that, all you have to do is paste it
into your open LyX document using the correct LyX command, and it goes
in as a table.

Paul

--
Paul A. Rubin, Professor Emeritus