Feature Request from Doug Martin and Tom Philips

Paul A. Rubin parubin73 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 18 19:49:24 UTC 2021

On 1/18/21 2:03 PM, Doug Martin wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 18, 2021 at 10:41 AM Scott Kostyshak <skostysh at lyx.org
> <mailto:skostysh at lyx.org>> wrote:
>
>     On Mon, Jan 18, 2021 at 07:25:42PM +0100, Jean-Marc Lasgouttes wrote:
>     > Le 14/01/2021 à 05:34, Doug Martin a écrit :
>     > > JMarc and all,
>     > >
>     > > Tom and I use knitr extensively for R code chunks, and we
>     mostly use
>     > > kable with kableExtra to make tables.
>     > > The input to kable are R data frames, or data.tables, which
>     are the
>     > > result of model fitting and related calculations.
>     > > But we like to put mathematical expressions in selected cells
>     of tables,
>     > > which is so easy with LYX tables, and we currently
>     > > have to make the data entry into LYX by hand from data tables and
>     > > data.tables in order to make use of that feature.
>     > > So it would be great if we could import R data tables and
>     data.tables
>     > > into LYX tables, rather than using the kable/kableExtra
>     > > solution for our tables  (maybe I didn't make that clear in my
>     earlier
>     > > email).  Then we would probably would drop use of
>     > > kable/kableExtra.
>     >
>     > So you want to import as .tex the result of R processing. This
>     can be done
>     > via "Paste from LaTeX". What would be missing for your intended
>     usage?
>
>     From what I understand, they would like to import a .Rds file without
>     having to manually convert it to LaTeX.
>

> Scott,
>
> Definitely correct on the "without" part.  But we want to directly
> import an R object
> of class data.frame or data.table into an LYX table.
>
> If we have to export such an object first, we would typically export
> it to an .Rda object.
> But it would be far more convenient to not have to do that.
>
> Doug
>

>     Scott
>

> --
> R. Douglas Martin
> Professor Emeritus in Applied Mathematics and Statistics
> Founder and Former Director of MS-CFRM Program
> depts.washington.edu/compfin/ <http://depts.washington.edu/compfin/>
> University of Washington

Doug,

I'm not sure that what you want (direct import without first exporting)
is possible. Keep in mind that the source data frames / tables live
inside an R session, to which LyX probably does not have access. So I'm
pretty sure you will need to manually export the R objects, either by
saving to .Rda files (and then importing them into a LyX document using
a converter) or by running an R function/script that converts them to
LaTeX or LyX source (or something else LyX can ingest).

Note that if you do your R work in an IDE, such as RStudio, you could
probably set up an addin / plugin / <whatever your IDE calls it> to do
the export by invoking a shortcut.

Paul

--
Paul A. Rubin, Professor Emeritus