Documentation Help

Richard Kimberly Heck rikiheck at lyx.org
Wed Jan 13 18:01:51 UTC 2021

On 1/13/21 12:45 PM, Lorenzo Bertini wrote:
> Il 13/01/21 18:22, Richard Kimberly Heck ha scritto:
>> Hi, everyone,
>>
>> We hope to release LyX 2.4.0 in the next couple months. Before then,
>> there is some work that needs to be done on the documentation. If you've
>> always wanted to contribute to LyX but haven't because you don't know
>> how to code, then this is your chance!
>>
>> The main task that needs doing is to copy the changes made in the
>> English documentation over into the Spanish, French, German, and
>> Japanese manuals, so that the translators can do translate it. You do
>> NOT have to speak one of these languages to do this (though that might
>> be helpful). It really is just a matter of going through the English
>> manual, finding the new or changed material (which is marked with
>> change-tracking), and pasting it into the other manuals. It's rote work,
>> but important work nonetheless.
>>
>> Longer-term, we could also use someone to act as documentation manager
>> during the 2.5 development cycle and to do this kind of work along the
>> way. If you'd be interested in that job, please do let us know.
>>
>> Riki
> I can do Spanish! I found how to look at changes, but then do I just
> copy them in a local version of the translated manual?

Yes, that would be fine. I suppose it is easiest to copy
lib/doc/es/UserGuide.lyx, etc, to some other location and work with
that. Then you can upload the result here, and someone can commit it.

I should have added that there are likely to be changes in all the
manuals that have been translated: User Guide, Additional Features,
Customization, Embedded Objects, and Math. There may also be some in the
Tutorial and the Introduction, though those usually do not change much.

Thanks!

Riki