Change LyX release numbering to Semantic Versioning

Pavel Sanda sanda at lyx.org
Wed Jan 13 11:51:53 UTC 2021

On Wed, Jan 13, 2021 at 01:27:21AM +0000, José Abílio Matos wrote:
> What I am proposing is to change to a saner and more predictable model, either
> the semantic version or the scheme used by several gnu projects, like at least
> gcc and octave.

I hope my memory serves me well, but the major reason we did not go the predictable
route of 1.6, 1.7, 1.8, 1.9, 2.0, 2.1 etc was your own push for 2.0 at the Berlin
meeting. I can even remember at which corner of the room were you standing when
voicing the issue :)

I added justification for 2.0 as a celebration of anniversary of the project in the
release notes, but that was secondary to that push and would not happen without.
Actually I was not even against that particular bump, but to use it now as an
argument against predictability for yeat another unpredictable jump does not
look fair :)

Pavel