Concurrent processing of child documents?

Scott Kostyshak skostysh at lyx.org
Mon Apr 5 16:01:42 UTC 2021

On Mon, Apr 05, 2021 at 05:18:40PM +0200, Jean-Marc Lasgouttes wrote:
> Le 05/04/2021 à 16:59, Scott Kostyshak a écrit :
> > This is currently more of a theoretical question since I don't have time to work on it.
> >
> > I'm working for the first time on a document with lots of child documents. Export of the child documents is sequential. Is there a reason they can't be processed concurrently?
> >
> > I'm guessing this isn't relevant for most users since export from LyX to TeX seems pretty fast to me in most cases. What makes it slow in my case is that the child documents use knitr, so to get the exported TeX to be able to compile the parent an R script is run for each of them.
>
> I do not understand: if you use knitr, each child potentially depends on the
> output of the previous ones.

Each chunk depends on the previous, but as you mention below, there is a separate R process for each child .lyx file. I believe this is intended.

> I am surprised actually that R is ran
> separately. I never thought about that, to be frank.

From what I understand, the parent .lyx file needs to get a .tex file from each of its child .lyx files. In order to get a .tex file, the knitr script needs to be run.

It might be an interesting feature to basically "in-line" the LyX child documents. I could imagine this being useful in some cases. In my particular case, I actually like the modularity and keeping the child documents independent.

Scott