lyx file from 2015 not converted to pdf

Guenter Milde milde at users.sf.net
Thu Mar 19 21:20:47 UTC 2020

On 2020-03-19, Richard Kimberly Heck wrote:
> On 3/19/20 12:20 PM, Paul A. Rubin wrote:
>> On 3/19/20 12:03 PM, Wolfgang Engelmann wrote:
>>> I am trying to export from a lyx file produced in 2015 a pdf file,
>>> but get this error:

>>> further errors:
>>> Error 84 returned from iconv when converting from UCS-4LE to
>>> ISO-8859-15: Ungültiges oder unvollständiges Multi-Byte- oder
>>> Wide-Zeichen

This seems to indicate that there is an invalid utf8 multi-byte character
somewhere in the *.lyx file.

>>> How should I proceed?
>> The last message (error 84) suggests that there may be a problem with
>> character encoding. If it is in a preview snipped, that could explain
>> the preceding message.

>> You can try to isolate the problematic portion of the document by
>> bisection. Once you know where the problem is, we may be able to offer
>> more specific advise.

> It's weird that you'd see the problem now and not in 2015.  As Paul
> suggests, this is a problem with one of the characters in the document:
> We're trying to convert it to the right encoding and that's failing.
> LyX should not crash when that happens, but sometimes it does.

It may be due to a lyx2lyx problem, some mistake when converting the
document from an old lyx format to the current one.

Keep the original file, and from a copy remove parts until it compiles.

Günter