Get unicode output for quotation marks

Daniel xracoonx at gmx.de
Mon Feb 24 13:22:36 UTC 2020

On 2020-02-24 14:08, Jean-Marc Lasgouttes wrote:
> Le 24/02/2020 à 13:34, Daniel a écrit :
>> Ah, I see. LyX actually does not use the unicode characters “ and ”
>> but \textquotedblleft and \textquotedblright{} when I insert the
>> unicode character. So, I guess what I want is to have `` and '' be
>> replaced by those commands.
>>
>> Yes, using xetex changes the code preview to usage of unicode. Is it
>> on purpse one cannot useb pdflatex that way?
>
> It is a matter of using polyglossia instead of babel, from what I
> understand. There some things (ligatures, spacing) that are handled with
> these improves engines, but not the plain pdflatex with babel.

I see. Well, pdflatex seems to understand the quotation marks as well
plus it solves the problem with the PDF bookmarks. And I guess there are
certain problems I might run into when switching from pdflatex to xetex.
So the switch isn't costless.

>> 1. If I typeset the document I sent before first with pdflatex and
>> then with xetex I get an error:
>>
>>   \babel at aux{english}{}
>
> This is the switch from polyglossia to babel and the fact that we keep
> old aux files to limit the number of TeX runs.

I see. Couldn't LyX remember whether the switch has been made and delete
those aux files. I guess the error is not a big problem but I was
already thinking that it did not work correctly.

>> 2. With xetexThe plain quotation marks show as Mapping=34 in the
>> bookmarks.
>
> What bookmarks are you talking about?

The PDF bookmarks ("table of content").

Daniel