lyx crashes while menu navigating to the left

Richard Kimberly Heck rikiheck at lyx.org
Thu Feb 20 06:55:35 UTC 2020

On 2/19/20 5:23 PM, V K wrote:

> On Wednesday, February 19, 2020, 11:36:58 PM GMT+2, V K <sovhist at yahoo.com> wrote:
>

> I did exactly the same as you described once more and Lyx disappeared.
> Using Qt version 5.14.1 in /usr/lib.
>

> On Wednesday, February 19, 2020, 10:06:32 PM GMT+2, Richard Kimberly Heck <rikiheck at lyx.org> wrote:
>

> On 2/19/20 12:22 PM, V K wrote:
>
>> Steps to reproduce: navigate through menus with keyboard (arrows), let's say, menu Navigate, go deeper into sub-menu (Bookmarks – Save Bookmark 1) and if there will be no more sub-menu in the left but you press left arrow Lyx crashes and after relaunching there is no documents from last session. If you go right with arrow, this opens right to the active menu. If you go to the left from menu item that hasn't sub menu (let's say, Navigate – Next Note), Lyx is not crashing and that opens next to the left menu.
>>

>> Sorry for the lapsus lingua: not left, but right and vice versa in all my text.
>> My setup: Manjaro Linux, Lyx 2.3.4.
>
> Can you give more detailed instructions? Here's what I did (using
> English GUI):
>
> 1. Alt-N, to open the Navigate menu
>
> 2. Bookmarks is highlighted, so hit right arrow to open that menu.
>
> 3. Hit right arrow again. This takes me to the Document menu.
>
> What version of Qt is installed on your machine?
>

> I think, I narrowed the cause. I'm working in Wayland (Sway). There is no crash when I'm launching Lyx with xwayland (as "QT_QPA_PLATFORM=xcb lyx") and hitting right when I am in the Bookmarks sub-menu takes me to the Document menu. But Lyx in Wayland crashes when I do the same.
> I just receive your mail. Yes, it's Wayland.

I'm forwarding this, then, to the devel list. As I said, we've seen some
issues with Wayland, though my sense is that these are Qt issues,
mostly, not LyX issues (though they become LyX issues, since we depend
upon Qt).

If you have an option to try other Qt versions, that also could be helpful.

>  One more small thing Alt-I (to open Insert menu) isn't working when you press it first after launching program while other menus all are working. After launching some other menu by Alt Alt-I is working. That is in Wayland and X11.

This sounds like it could be a shortcut conflict. Some wm's capture
keystrokes and interfere with LyX's own capturing of keystrokes. There's
not much we an do about that---if we never see the keystroke, we can't
respond to it. Hard to know if that's your issue or not.