bbding symbols are hyooge

Paul A. Rubin parubin73 at gmail.com
Sat Jan 18 00:18:34 UTC 2020

On 1/17/20 6:56 PM, Maria Gouskova wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 17, 2020 at 1:52 PM Paul A. Rubin <parubin73 at gmail.com
> <mailto:parubin73 at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     On 1/17/20 12:48 PM, Maria Gouskova wrote:
>>     Hi LyX users,
>>
>>     Can anyone reproduce this? All I have in my sample file is
>>     \usepackage{bbding} in the preamble, and something like
>>     \Checkmark{} or \FiveStar{} in the body of the file. These used
>>     to come out to scale with the text, and now they are absolutely
>>     enormous in the PDF. Doesn't seem to depend on whether non-TeX
>>     fonts are used. I have LyX 2.3.3 on Linux Mint; I think at least
>>     as recently as this past May (2.3.2?), bbding worked fine.
>>
>>     (I can produce a checkmark with \checkmark{} from the amsmath
>>     package, so this isn't critical, just kind of weird.)
>>
>>     Maria
>>
>     Do you consider the check mark and star in the attached PDF huge
>     or to scale? This was also done on Linux Mint using LyX 2.3.3.
>
>     Paul
>
>     --
>

> Yeah those are not what I am seeing. Attached--
The good news first: you're not hallucinating. Those really are large icons.
The bad news: when I compile your file, I get normal size icons.

I cannot find any non-default settings in your document that could
account for what you are seeing. Grasping at straws, you might try
looking at the full LaTeX source (View > Code Preview Pane, then select
"LaTeX (pdflatex)" and "Complete Source" in the preview pane. This is
what I get:

> % Preview source code
>
> %% LyX 2.3.3 created this file. For more info, see http://www.lyx.org/.
>
> %% Do not edit unless you really know what you are doing.
>
> \documentclass[english]{article}
>
> \usepackage[T1]{fontenc}
>
> \usepackage[latin9]{inputenc}
>
> \usepackage[letterpaper]{geometry}
>
> \geometry{verbose,tmargin=1in,bmargin=1in,lmargin=1in,rmargin=1in}
>
> \setcounter{secnumdepth}{4}
>
> \setcounter{tocdepth}{4}
>
> \usepackage{amsmath}
>
> \usepackage{amssymb}
>
> \usepackage[authoryear]{natbib}
>
> \makeatletter
>
> %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%% User specified LaTeX commands.
>
> \usepackage{bbding}
>
> \AtBeginDocument{
>
> \def\labelitemiii{\(\circ\)}
>
> }
>
> \makeatother
>
> \usepackage{babel}
>
> \begin{document}
>
> text text \Checkmark{} text text \FiveStar{} text
>
> \end{document}

Do you see any differences at your end? For that matter, are you using
pdflatex? (I tried a few other routes to PDF output, and none of them
gave me Brobdingnagian symbols.)
Last possibility: I'm using TeXLive 2018. What LaTeX system are you using?

Paul