Index "see..." Cross-reference Broken in User Guide

Andrew Parsloe ajparsloe at gmail.com
Thu Dec 12 00:29:59 UTC 2019

On 12/12/2019 1:14 pm, Joel Kulesza wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 11, 2019 at 4:59 PM Andrew Parsloe <ajparsloe at gmail.com
> <mailto:ajparsloe at gmail.com>> wrote:
>

>     On 12/12/2019 12:36 pm, Joel Kulesza wrote:
>>     On Wed, Dec 11, 2019 at 4:01 PM Andrew Parsloe
>>     <ajparsloe at gmail.com <mailto:ajparsloe at gmail.com>> wrote:
>>

>>         On 12/12/2019 2:55 am, Joel Kulesza wrote:
>>>         On Wed, Dec 11, 2019 at 3:07 AM Axel Dessecker
>>>         <adessec at gwdg.de <mailto:adessec at gwdg.de>> wrote:
>>>
>>>             Am Dienstag, 10. Dezember 2019, 23:53:24 CET schrieb
>>>             Joel Kulesza:
>>>
>>>             > Has anyone else observed that the "See..."
>>>             cross-references in the User
>>>             > Guide index fail to render?
>>>             >
>>>             > For example, using LyX 2.3.3 the "GIF|see{Image
>>>             Formats}" in Section 4.4.1
>>>             > of the User Guide does not make an entry for GIF or
>>>             anything indicating
>>>             > that something else should be seen.
>>>
>>>             I cannot confirm your observation. I have the user guide
>>>             in German and the
>>>             cross-reference command for GIF you are mentioning
>>>             correctly creates a list
>>>             entry for “Grafikformate” (image formats). This is LyX
>>>             2.3.3 and Linux
>>>             (openSUSE).
>>>

>>>         Axel,
>>>
>>>         Thank you for testing.  Weird.  I cannot see it (see
>>>         attached with no "GIF" entry int he index).  I've tried on
>>>         various flavors of macOS with TeXLive 2017, 2018, and 2019.
>>>         All fail. I also tried on RHEL7, with LyX 2.3.2 and TeXLive
>>>         2018, and it also fails.
>>>
>>>         I'm glad to know it works, at least for someone.  I'll
>>>         continue digging, but I'd be happy to know if anyone else
>>>         sees GIF in the index pointing to Image Formats, or not.
>>>
>>>         Thank you,
>>>         Joel
>>>
>>         Like Axel, I get the "GIF see Image formats" entry produced
>>         in the index. This is LyX 2.3.3, the English User's Guide, on
>>         a Windows 10 machine. Under "Images" there is a subheading
>>         "Formats  71".
>>
>>         Andrew
>>
>>     Andrew,
>>
>>     To confirm: you see an entry for "GIF" in the index?
>>
>>     My understanding from Section 6.6.3 of the User Guide is that it
>>     should exist and point to Image Formats as a cross reference.
>>     However, I do not see that and I believe Axel indicated that he
>>     didn't look for the GIF entry.
>>
>>     The cross-referencing entry for GIF that I'm missing (and want to
>>     have in my own document).
>>
>>     Thanks,
>>     Joel
>
>     Yes, I copied the "GIF see Image formats" entry from the index of
>     a just-compiled User's Guide. It's there, along with similar
>     entries for JPG, SVG, PNG and EPS. In case it's relevant the index
>     has numerous other see references, e.g., "Bindings see Key
>     Bindings", "Formulas see Math", "Glossary see Nomenclature",
>     "Ligatures see Typography", and as a subheading under "LYX",
>     "Reconfigure see Reconfiguration of LYX".
>
>     Andrew

> [...]

MiKTeX 2.9 64 bit.

In the Code Preview pane I see, e.g., \index{GIF|see{Image formats}}.

In Document settings, I see

Document class is KOMA-Script book with custom class options:

refpage,intoc,bibliography=totoc,index=totoc,BCOR7.5mm,captions=tableheading

Indexes is default. (Presumably MakeIndex?) and in the preamble I see

% macro for italic page numbers in the index

\newcommand{\IndexDef}[1]{\textit{#1}}

Andrew