pdf graphic in lyx file > converting error

Wolfgang Engelmann engelmann at uni-tuebingen.de
Thu Nov 28 08:09:37 UTC 2019

Am 27.11.19 um 20:04 schrieb Baris Erkus:
> On 27-Nov-19 9:39 PM, Wolfgang Engelmann wrote:
>>
>> I try to insert a pdf graphic in a float of a book document, but get
>> /error converting in a loadable format/. What do I have to set in the
>> tools>file handling>converters to make it work, respectively, in
>> which help file and where there do I find infos? Its an older file
>> (2016) which used to work. Has something changed in the meantime?
>>
>> Wolfgang
>>

> Does this problem occur when you open the file and when LyX tries to
> show the PDF or when you compile the file (e.g with pdflatex)? I am
> trying to understand if this is a LyX issue or latex issue.
>
> There were questions about PDF is not converted correctly for LyX
> preview in the list, which is related to PDF to PNG conversion, and I
> had the following recommendation for such problems. I do not know if
> this is your problem but worth to remind this:
>
> Default LyX will show the PDFs with lower quality on the screen, when
> scaled. To solve this problem you need to tell to increase the
> resolution of the preview image as follows:
>
>   * Make sure the convert utility of ImageMagick is installed and the
>     utility "convert" is made available to path.
>   * Start LyX and do not open a file.
>   * Go to "Preferences" under the "Tools" menu.
>   * Go to "Converters" under the "File Handling" section.
>   * Select "PDF(graphics)" from "From Format:" and "PNG" from "To Format:"
>   * To "Converter:" write :|convert -density *** -trim -quality 100
>     -sharpen 0x1.0 $$i $$o|, where *** can be 200 to start with. You
>     may try other values based on the results.
>   * Click "Add" button.
>   * Click "Apply" button.
>   * Click "Save" button.
>   * Select "Reconfigure" under "Tools" menu.
>   * Restart LyX.
>
> --
> ↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓
> Please bottom-post. Start your reply here:

Thanks, Barris.

I do have Version: ImageMagick 6.9.7-4 with convert.

Did you mean to put this in the extra flag line? >

  *

  * To "Converter:" write :|convert -density *** -trim -quality 100
    -sharpen 0x1.0 $$i $$o|, where *** can be 200 to start with. You may
    try other values based on the results.

  * Click "Save" button.

There was no save button, I clicked ok

I opened my document. Now instead of

/error converting in a loadable format/.

I get

/error loading file into memory
/

What I plan to do now is to try it with Debian buster on my notebook. I
am currently on Linux Mint Tina using my PC.

Wolfgang