texlive 2019 install

Helge Hafting helge.hafting at ntnu.no
Thu Nov 7 14:48:48 UTC 2019

Den 12.10.2019 17:46, skrev UD Kap:
> In the few times I had to install TexLive in Linux, it was always a
> nightmare (paths, privileges, dependencies..), especially to get an
> installation in which tlmgr was working.  It is frustrating that such
> an important piece of software doesn't have a smooth installation
> method.  I realize that they want to have a system which can be
> updated without the linux package manager, but there ought to be some
> better way.

If you want easy TexLive in Linux, install using the distro package
manager ONLY.  Many distros do a good job packaging texlive, and offer
easy upgrades whenever TexLive itself is updated.  TexLive may be split
into 5-10 packages; pick what you need or just install all of it if you
want an easy (albeit disk-consuming) install.

This goes for any software. Use the distro package manager, and only
that.  Obviously, go for a distro that packages just about all the
software you want.  Debian, or some Debian-derivative like Ubuntu may be
a good choice.

Downloading software and installing it outside the package manager is
possible, but it is always more work than just using the package
manager. Keeping such software up-to-date is more work, and sometimes
the package manager will install upgrades not compatible with your
"outsider" software. There are usually no such problems when using the
package manager exclusively.  (It may happen, but that is considered a
bug in the distro, so they work hard to avoid that.)

Installing a big piece of software, such as Texlive, outside of the
distro package manager is harder. You will then have to deal with paths,
privileges and dependencies.  That may be ok for an experienced linux
sysadmin - but it is not a smooth method. For smooth, use the package
manager every time, and a distro that has what you need.

Helge Hafting