Some issues with the latest update of MikTeX

Baris Erkus bariserkus at hotmail.com
Thu Nov 7 08:10:17 UTC 2019

I would like to report that there are some issues with the latest MikTeX
update that was published just couple of days ago.

I became aware of the issue when I wanted to compile a two page document
that was compiling just fine before updating my MikTeX installation.

LyX reported that iftex.sty was missing. I checked MikTeX and indeed
iftex package was somehow not loaded in the package list, which is
awkward since I have installed "all" MikTeX packages and everything is
expected to be there. It does not make sense MikTeX remove some standard
packages during a MikTeX update.

Anyhow I installed the missing package (iftex) using MikTeX package
manager. There were also other packages that appeared not to be
installed; I also installed all of them to have the complete package in
the MikTeX system.

I re-run the LyX file, and LyX gave same error. Then, I found out that
the iftex folder is actually empty although it appears as installed in
the MikTeX package list.

I manually downloaded the package from CTAN and copied to the proper
latex/iftex folder. I reconfigured LyX and the error is gone. However,
this time, if I wanted to reun the sample LyX file, LyX still tries to
start MikTeX and tries to search for iftex package and gives error.
Maybe I should clear the cache or temp folder or smtg.

As a conclusion, there appears to be some issues with the latest update
of MikTeX, at least for my case. This is also effecting LyX. LyX is
getting confused with the reconfigure and cannot configure it properly.
Please do not install the latest MikTeX update till you make sure it is
safe to do so.

--
Please bottom-post. Start your reply here: