How to Elegantly "Unbold" Description Label in LyX & Output?

Richard Kimberly Heck rikiheck at lyx.org
Tue Nov 5 18:36:33 UTC 2019

On 11/5/19 10:38 AM, Joel Kulesza wrote:
> Colleagues,
>
> What is the recommended way to reconfigure the description environment
> to not be bold in LyX and in the output.  For the output, I might use
>
> \renewcommand{\descriptionlabel}[1]{\hspace{\labelsep}\normalfont{#1}}

You might want to look at enumitem.sty. It provides a nice interface for
altering such things.

> However, it's not clear how best to set the description to not show
> "bold" in the interface (so that I can selectively apply bolding to my
> label and have it appear faithfully in LyX and in the output).
> Section 3.3.7.4 of the User Guide would seem to be the place to find
> the information—have I overlooked it elsewhere?

Customization manual, chapter 5, esp. section 5.3.

> I've tried setting a local layout to override the standard
> "description" definition, but validation suggests that it's invalid
> (below my signature).  Even copying the definition from stdlists.inc
> fails validation...

I'm guessing you are missing a "format" tag. But you don't need to copy
the whole definition. Just:

Format 66

Style Description
    LabelFont
        Series Medium
    EndFont
End

This overrides the previous definition of the LabelFont.