Lyx for Windows

Wolfgang Engelmann engelmann at uni-tuebingen.de
Mon Oct 28 07:30:39 UTC 2019

Am 28.10.19 um 01:08 schrieb Paul A. Rubin:
> On 10/27/19 9:57 AM, Joel Kulesza wrote:
>>> I have a colleague with whom I would like to write a book chapter.
>>> I am under Linux, he uses Windows. Is the following advice
>>> sufficient or should I mention more points?
>>>
>>> Lyx for windows
>>> https://wiki.lyx.org/Windows/Windows
>>>
>>> 1- Installing TeXLive for Windows over Internet
>>> https://www.tug.org/texlive/acquire-netinstall.html
>>> use Custom install
>>> and follow the proposal below the Texlive 2018 figure
>>> Click install texlive
>> This is the same advice I’d give. However, I’ve generally had bad
>> luck successfully installing TeXLive on Windows and still usually end
>> up with MiKTeX.  You might want to be prepared for this contingency.
>>
>> - Joel
> I am working with a coauthor on a paper, both using LyX. I'm on Linux
> + TeXLive; she's on Windows + MikTeX. We have had no problems with the
> collaboration, including using the change tracking features. So I
> agree with Joel that there is no need to mess with TeXLive on the
> Windows platform (where MikTeX is the more typical choice). Both
> parties just need to be sure they have any required packages installed.
>
> Paul

I am overwhelmed by the many helpful advises. For the time being I will
use my linux LyX and ask my colleague to use MikTeX, since at the start
I want him to be able to read all my lyx notes in which I collected the
results of new publications since the last edition in 2015. I remember a
note where TeXLive was recommended over MikTeX for some reason. I guess
this is no issue any more. I have to dig into the Github proposal for a
possible later use. Does John's advice to use identical versions of LyX
mean to use 2.3.3 (which I use) also under Windows? I did not find this
version for MikTeX.

Thanks a lot to all of you,

Wolfgang