More obvious feedback when a reconfigure is in process

Baris Erkus bariserkus at hotmail.com
Mon Oct 28 05:31:40 UTC 2019

On 27-Oct-19 1:07 AM, Cris Fuhrman wrote:
> Hello,
>
> While trying some various installs of MiKTeX recently, I had to
> reconfigure LyX several times. At one point, I was trying to change
> the settings and the menu wasn't working. Finally I realized that the
> reconfigure was still running, and that I had just been duped by the
> fact that the only feedback is on a status line at the bottom of the
> window (which wasn't changing because the step the reconfigure on was
> one that takes more than 10 seconds on my machine sometimes (fonts?)).
>
> Anyway, I wondered why there isn't an progress-bar type dialog or
> something with more feedback when doing a reconfigure? It can take as
> long as a minute on one of my machines.
>
> Cheers,
>
> C. Fuhrman

On Windows with MikTeX, reconfiguring can take about 10 minutes
especially if LyX asks MikTeX to install some packages.

LyX Message Pane shows the configuration status, however it is not
turned on automatically. Maybe you can request from the developers a
feature that shows the messages pane during the configuration.

Progress-bar may not be meaningful here as different TeX systems and
different package status may result very different type of configuration
times, which may not be possible to estimate.

--
Please bottom-post. Start your reply here: