Lyx for Windows

John Beattie jkb at jkbsc.co.uk
Sun Oct 27 21:25:57 UTC 2019

On 2019-10-27 07:57 -0600, Joel Kulesza wrote:

> > I have a colleague with whom I would like to write a book chapter. I am under Linux, he uses Windows. Is the following advice sufficient or should I mention more points?
> >
> > Lyx for windows
> > https://wiki.lyx.org/Windows/Windows
> >
> > 1- Installing TeXLive for Windows over Internet
> > https://www.tug.org/texlive/acquire-netinstall.html
> > use Custom install
> > and follow the proposal below the Texlive 2018 figure
> > Click install texlive
>
> This is the same advice I’d give. However, I’ve generally had bad luck successfully installing TeXLive on Windows and still usually end up with MiKTeX.  You might want to be prepared for this contingency.
>
> - Joel
> --

I have linux at home and windows at work and I occasionally move a lyx file from
one to the other.  It is perfectly straightforward.  The key gotchas I can
recall are these and they are not serious:

- the lyx versions must be identical.

- if there are any special modules, both must be present in both places.

- the file might well look a little different in lyx on Windows and Linux.  This
  is not a real problem for me but might be if your colleague is not co-located
  with you.

- My Acrobat Reader on Windows is anti-social about closing the file. I always
  have to approve closing the existing version when I compile a new version.

Best regards,
John