Reuse MikTeX from Win10 in WSL

Cris Fuhrman fuhrmanator at gmail.com
Wed Oct 23 14:20:18 UTC 2019

Posting a status of what I tried:

I followed  https://miktex.org/howto/install-miktex-unx to install MiKTeX
for Ubuntu (under WSL).

I managed to get MiKTeX installed in WSL (with the "shared" option, and
using the common-X options described at
https://docs.miktex.org/manual/miktexsetup.html) to see the packages
installed already in Windows (miktex-console sees them in the list, I
didn't need to download them again).

However, I had to delete the filename databases, whose process is described
at https://miktex.org/kb/fix-fndb-damaged

Sadly, I could not get MiKTeX console to run in Admin mode (this may be a
problem with WSL). Whenever I tried (even with sudo to launch the console),
the program just exits and I saw no errors that were obvious. Also, LyX
wasn't finding biber correctly, which turned out to be a symbolic link
issue in MiKTeX.

I had posted an issue on the MiKTeX github
https://github.com/MiKTeX/miktex/issues/400 and got a quick response that
solved the above problems.

Conclusion for today: It's working on my current system, for a complex
document that uses biblatex and lots of packages (not a complete test, but
encouraging nonetheless). I will delete my redundant TexLive install in WSL
to save the gigs of SSD.