texlive 2019 install

Paul A. Rubin parubin73 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 14 00:31:21 UTC 2019

On 10/13/19 4:47 PM, UD Kap wrote:
> It must mean, then, that my pain threshold is much lower than Paul's,
> because I am (usually) using linux Mint-XFCE ;-)
>
> E.Kaplan
>
> On 10/12/19 2:14 PM, Paul A. Rubin wrote:
>> On 10/12/19 1:37 PM, Steve Litt wrote:
>>> Hi Ehud,
>>>
>>> Your TexLive installation problems in Linux might be distro-related. I
>>> use Void Linux,  and it installs easy as a Void package. My only
>>> problem is once a year, a new year is added to the /opt/texlive tree,
>>> and I need to use tlmgr to update or install a bunch of things. It's
>>> about a 5 hour process, once a year.
>>>
>>> StveT

>> It's pretty painless in Linux Mint (and, presumably, Ubuntu).
>>
>> Paul

I have to admit that I've only used tlmgr (via its GUI) once or twice. I
have plenty of disk space, so when I need a particular class or font I
just install (via Synaptic) the package that contains it, and live with
the eight zillion other things that are now installed but will never be
used. Synaptic handles anything involving paths and dependencies. So my
pain tolerance (currently being tested by various teams that I root for)
generally does not come into play. :-)

Paul