LyX-2.3.3: citation issue

Paul A. Rubin parubin73 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 11 18:08:08 UTC 2019

On 10/11/19 12:51 PM, Rich Shepard wrote:
> I've been exchanging e-mails with Riki about this problem. It's
> keeping me
> from submitting a client report that needs to get out and I hope
> others can
> see a solution.
>
> Context: running lyx-2.3.3 on slackware-14.2/x86_64; kbiblatex-0.7.7
> is the
> UI to the scientific references database, jabrefdb.bib. There is one
> reference in the database that lyx does not insert in the document when I
> click the 'send to lyx' link on the kbibtex UI. The lyx document shows
> this
> as ??(??) on the attached lyx-bad-cite.png. FWIW, yesterday I added
> two tech
> report references to kbibtex. The first one lyx accepted from kbibext the
> second one is rejected.
>
> When I click on that grey box (or use Insert -> Citation) lyx tells me
> the
> reference is not in the database, but it displays the citation on the
> right
> panel (see attached lyx-citations.png) where it can be deleted but not
> added
> to the full list in the left panel.
>
> Why this one citation is a problem after years of no problems getting
> citations from JabRef to lyx (and all the other citations in the current
> docuemnt from kbibtex) makes no sense to me.
>
> I'll provide additional information when asked.
>
> Regards,
>
> Rich

If, instead of pushing references via kbiblatex-0.7.7, you just add the
entire .bib file to the document (Insert > List / TOC > Bib(la)TeX
Bibliography, Add... to find and add the .bib file) and then select
references from that, does it work? If yes, you should be good to go. If
not, maybe that particular entry in the .bib file is malformed.

FWIW, I've never tried to push references to LyX from JabRef; I always
just select the .bib file in the bibliography inset (path of least
resistance).

Paul