texlive 2019 install

Paul A. Rubin parubin73 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 11 18:01:40 UTC 2019

On 10/11/19 12:01 PM, Wolfgang Engelmann wrote:

> Am 11.10.19 um 15:38 schrieb Paul A. Rubin:
>> On 10/11/19 8:23 AM, Wolfgang Engelmann wrote:
>>> I think I am getting closer. I installed lyx by using in L Mint in
>>> the sources.list.d the lyx-devel-releases-bionic.list which puts the
>>> stuff in /usr/share/tex/texmf with /doc, /fonts, /tex/tex/latex/lyx ...
>>>
>>> That is, tex latex .. are already installed.
>>>
>>> I do get, however, with my lyx document errors for missing sty files
>>> and would actually prefer to use texlive and put it in
>>> /usr/local/texlive/2019
>>>
>>> So I guess I have to remove all the tex stuff and install it from my
>>> DVD texlive anew. What about >>> *lyx 2.3.3 which I got the way
>>> described above. Should I reinstall it here or leave it in
>>> /usr/share... ? *
>>>
>>> Life (not only TeXLive) is complicated and becomes more so with age...
>>>
>>> Wolfgang
>>>

>> Wolfgang,
>>
>> I'm using TeXLive 2018 on Mint with no problems. I get it from a PPA,
>> and I see that the maintainer also has TeXLive 2019 available now at
>> https://launchpad.net/~jonathonf/+archive/ubuntu/texlive-2019. I
>> would suggest removing all traces of TeXLive, adding the PPA
>> (instructions are near the top of the page), installing the main
>> packages (the "texlive-" packages), and then reconfiguring LyX.
>>
>> Paul
>>
> Thanks, Paul,
>
> but how would I proceed with the lyx 2.3.3 ? see above >>>
>
> > What about lyx 2.3.3 which I got the way described above. Should I
> reinstall it here or leave it in /usr/share... ?
>
> Wolfgang

I don't have a /usr/share/tex/texmf directory on my system. I do have
/usr/share/texmf/tex/latex, which contains a subdirectory "lyx" created
by the LyX installer. (It does not contain "doc" or "fonts"
directories.) In any case, you should be able to leave the LyX
installation alone. I don't think anything it installs is likely to
conflict with anything TeXLive installs.

Paul