texlive 2019 install > was > Re: Suddenly, doc won't complie

Wolfgang Engelmann engelmann at uni-tuebingen.de
Fri Oct 11 11:46:16 UTC 2019

>> The biggest problems I face are that every year a new TexLive comes
>> out, automatically, and causes my books not to compile. So once a year
>> I spend six hours up close and personal with tlmgr, hunting down
>> missing fonts and installing them, and maybe doing a few other things.

> using ./install-tl -gui from /media/wolfgang/TEXCOL2019 (using Linux
> Mint Tina)
>
> The gui opens but it tells that the standard list TEXDIR and
> TEXMFSYSVAR and TEXMFSYSCONFIG can not be reached or written to
> -please change
>
> I am lost here: Are these automatically set by the install-tl or do I
> have to create it manually? The TEXDIR  should be in
> /usr/local/texlive/2019 which does not exist yet. I can click on
> change but that just shows the assumed paths. In a how to quick
> install it says one does not need to be root, and its even
> discouraged, but creating it by hand (from a terminal) needs sudo.
>
> Can somebody give a hint (e.g. link to a reasonable site)?
>
> Wolfgang

incidently, this is what I get in the terminal:

wolfgang at wolfgang-Mr-Whisper-Ultra-SSD-II:/media/wolfgang/TEXCOL2019/texlive$
./install-tl -gui

Can't exec "wish": Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden at ./install-tl
line 89.
Can't exec "wish8.6": Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden at
./install-tl line 89.
Can't exec "wish8.5": Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden at
./install-tl line 89.
Can't exec "tclkit": Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden at
./install-tl line 89.
Setting opt_gui to perltk instead at ./install-tl line 350.
Installing TeX Live 2019 from: . (verified)
Platform: x86_64-linux => 'GNU/Linux on x86_64'

Directory for temporary files: /tmp/A7LU7v4wfl

and this is in install-tl starting with line 82, line 89 is if (!exec ...

# done scanning arguments
   if ($want_tcl) {
     unshift (@new_args, "--");
     unshift (@new_args,
"$::installerdir/tlpkg/installer/install-tl-gui.tcl");
     my @wishes = qw /wish wish8.6 wish8.5 tclkit/;
     unshift @wishes, $ENV{'WISH'} if (defined $ENV{'WISH'});
     foreach my $w (@wishes) {
       if (!exec($w, @new_args)) {
         next; # no return on successful exec
       }
     }
     # no succesful exec of wish
   } # else continue with main installer below
}
# end of wrapper block, start of the real installer