texlive 2019 install > was > Re: Suddenly, doc won't complie

Wolfgang Engelmann engelmann at uni-tuebingen.de
Fri Oct 11 08:15:31 UTC 2019

go to >>>

Am 10.10.19 um 21:06 schrieb Steve Litt:
> On Wed, 9 Oct 2019 15:52:50 -0700 (PDT)
> Rich Shepard <rshepard at appl-ecosys.com> wrote:
>
>> I changed the name of the .lyx document (on the command line, not
>> within lyx), opened it in lyx and compiled it using pdflinux.
>>
>> Seeing that the figures (set at 100% text width) took up too much
>> room on the pages and disrupted the text flow, I started changing the
>> widths to 75% text width. Now when I try to compile it with ctrl-x h
>> it fails with a bunch of error messages (see attached screenshot.)
>> These look like they're in the bibliography, but clicking on each one
>> highlights various lines of text in the document that have nothing to
>> do with what's displayed in the lower window. The bibliography
>> entries were inserted by kbibtex and there was no problem producing a
>> .pdf file before I started to change the figure sizes.
>>
>> All ideas welcome,
> I'm glad all ideas are welcome, because this one is probably not what
> you had in mind...
>
> For all my significant documents, rather than letting LyX compile them,
> I use a shellscript that calls pdflatex (or lualatex) and runs all the
> conversion programs and index programs and bibliography programs etc.
> That way, if something in my LyX configuration changes, it won't
> scuttle my document production, which of course is important when you
> sell personalized eBooks.
>
> Shellscripts are much easier to debug too: They're not a single black
> box. And they survive LyX upgrades much better than a LyX
> configurations.
>
> The biggest problems I face are that every year a new TexLive comes
> out, automatically, and causes my books not to compile. So once a year
> I spend six hours up close and personal with tlmgr, hunting down
> missing fonts and installing them, and maybe doing a few other things.

 >>> I have a TeX collection 2019 DVD and try to install texlive2019 by
using ./install-tl -gui from /media/wolfgang/TEXCOL2019 (using Linux
Mint Tina)

The gui opens but it tells that the standard list TEXDIR and TEXMFSYSVAR
and TEXMFSYSCONFIG can not be reached or written to -please change

I am lost here: Are these automatically set by the install-tl or do I
have to create it manually? The TEXDIR  should be in
/usr/local/texlive/2019 which does not exist yet. I can click on change
but that just shows the assumed paths. In a how to quick install it says
one does not need to be root, and its even discouraged, but creating it
by hand (from a terminal) needs sudo.

Can somebody give a hint (e.g. link to a reasonable site)?

Wolfgang