[lyx-users] Alternatives to JabRef?

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Mon Oct 7 19:43:03 UTC 2019

On Mon, 7 Oct 2019, Paul A. Rubin wrote:

> SourceForge has the 2.x versions squirreled away at
> https://sourceforge.net/projects/jabref/files/v1.0%20to%20v2.11.1/. As a
> Mint user, I get mine from the Canonical repositories, where the "current"
> version is 2.10. It works fine for me, and I have no problems pasting from
> PDFs (other than needing to delete bogus line-end characters to get text
> to flow correctly. (Well, that and an occasional kerned "fi" or some
> such.)

Paul,

Thanks for sharing. I've used 3.8.2 with no issues on the 32-bit desktop
since that version was released. And, while it worked fine on the 64-bit
desktop Friday, today it refused to load because one of the files could not
find a space where it was expected.

I'm behind on a client report because of this issue with references. So I
built and installed zotero and it's now importing the jabrefdb.bib file.
There's a javascript extension for connection to lyx that needs to be
obtained using curl, so that's next on the list. Zotero also appears to have
some nice features that JabRef lacks (such as full text indexing) which
might be more useful than keyword lookups.

Best regards,

Rich