[lyx-users] Alternatives to JabRef?

Paul A. Rubin parubin73 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 7 19:14:57 UTC 2019

On 10/4/19 11:51 AM, Rich Shepard wrote:
> For years I've used JabRef to manage my scientific references. The two
> latest versions, 4.3.1 and 5.0.0 don't allow me to highlight text in a
> PDF
> file and paste it in a JabRef data entry field. This behavior is not
> acceptable to me; I don't want to type long abstracts by hand when
> highlighting and pasting used to work very well. The JabRef website
> does not
> have access to older versions.
>
> Or, is there a way of cutting-and-pasting text from xpdf or mupdf to
> jabref
> that I've not discovered?
>
> Are there alternatives stand-alone, desktop applications that can put
> citations and refernces in a .lyx document like JabRef does, and has
> keyword
> groups for quickly finding relevant references?
>
> The lyx wiki page on bibtex editors has several links that go
> elsewhere than
> where the description says they should go, and a couple of broken links.
>
> TIA,
>
> Rich

SourceForge has the 2.x versions squirreled away at
https://sourceforge.net/projects/jabref/files/v1.0%20to%20v2.11.1/. As a
Mint user, I get mine from the Canonical repositories, where the
"current" version is 2.10. It works fine for me, and I have no problems
pasting from PDFs (other than needing to delete bogus line-end
characters to get text to flow correctly. (Well, that and an occasional
kerned "fi" or some such.)

So if you don't need some feature that was invented in version 3 or
later, I would suggest grabbing JabRef 2.10 or 2.11.1 rather than
starting a whole new adventure.

Paul