[lyx-users] Alternatives to JabRef?

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Fri Oct 4 15:51:48 UTC 2019

For years I've used JabRef to manage my scientific references. The two
latest versions, 4.3.1 and 5.0.0 don't allow me to highlight text in a PDF
file and paste it in a JabRef data entry field. This behavior is not
acceptable to me; I don't want to type long abstracts by hand when
highlighting and pasting used to work very well. The JabRef website does not
have access to older versions.

Or, is there a way of cutting-and-pasting text from xpdf or mupdf to jabref
that I've not discovered?

Are there alternatives stand-alone, desktop applications that can put
citations and refernces in a .lyx document like JabRef does, and has keyword
groups for quickly finding relevant references?

The lyx wiki page on bibtex editors has several links that go elsewhere than
where the description says they should go, and a couple of broken links.

TIA,

Rich