L3-Programming-Layer????

Andrew Parsloe ajparsloe at gmail.com
Tue Feb 16 05:30:07 UTC 2021

On 16/02/2021 5:10 pm, Murat Yildizoglu wrote:

>> Le 16 févr. 2021 à 11:07, Richard Kimberly Heck <rikiheck at lyx.org
>> <mailto:rikiheck at lyx.org>> a écrit :
>>
>> On 2/15/21 10:55 PM, Murat Yildizoglu wrote:
>>> Dear Lyxers,
>>>
>>> I have recently observed that I see the message
>>> (L3-Programming-Layer) followed by a date (2021-02-06) in the status
>>> bar when I compile a document.
>>>
>>> Do you have any idea about its meaning and origin?
>>
>> That is the LaTeX version you have telling you that it is the latest and
>> greatest.
>>
>> Riki
>>

> Ah, Thank you Richard!
> I have recently updated to MacTex 2020 and this change came with it
> probably.
>
> Happy to use the greatest version! :-)
>

> Prof. Murat Yildizoglu

More specifically: L3 (usually lowercase l3) refers to the LaTeX3
project which has created a suite of macros organized into a programming
language expl3 that is systematic in a way that TeX and LaTeX2e are not
(although in the end the functions/statements in expl3 resolve
themselves into TeX commands). See the documentation in the l3kernel
package, particularly interface3.pdf. Increasing numbers of packages are
being created using expl3. I've managed to write a couple, one
stretching to many thousands of lines of code, whereas I struggle to
cobble  5 lines of (La)TeX together. I presume the message in LyX means
it is using expl3.

Andrew