Lyx on Chromebook - Yes it works!

Dr Paul Verschueren paul at verschueren.org.uk
Fri Apr 16 13:41:43 UTC 2021

I assumed that the relative silence indicated I'm on my own, so I thought I would make an initial investigation this lunchtime.
Great news - it turns out to be relatively trivial to get Lyx working under Chrome OS, and there is no need to compile a native app.

Chrome OS sets up a small VM with a copy of Debian 10, and Lyx 2.3.2 installs cleanly via apt(?) - even for a Windows die-hard like myself with no previous Linux exposure.
Performance does not seem an issue - there is a slight slow-down noticeable compiling a complex 40 page math paper, but it is perfectly acceptable (to me at least).
I now have several Word docs open, about 20 Chrome browser tabs, some pdfs, Debian and Lyx all running happily in 4Gb RAM and with a 32Gb disk - amazing!

The more challenging steps now will be replicating my custom Lyx environment under Linux (all those weird path names!), and gaining access to all my OneDrive disks (I've found a Linux utility called rclone, but it doesn't seem to like my multiple OneDrive setup). Again any previous experience/hints/tips would be most welcome.

My congratulations to all the team who have obviously kept the product lean and mean - I did not have high expectation of getting it working well on a Chromebook, but I was wrong!
Best wishes
Paul