You use bookmarks in LyX. Tell me about it

Pavel Sanda sanda at lyx.org
Tue Apr 6 12:33:42 UTC 2021

On Mon, Apr 05, 2021 at 02:17:02PM -0400, Paul A. Rubin wrote:
> I rarely use bookmarks, and when I do it is within a session (meaning I do

The same here. My memory span what "Bookmark 2" means is in minuttes/hours max.
Usability might improve with the new visibility feature, but I do not think
it will turn me into heavy bookmark user.
I do not have strong pref for anchor position.

I use more often Navigate back, to quickly jump around. This feature was
designed to be similar to `` in vim.

I admit it might be confusing for users who expect something like back
button in web browsers, where each hit would bring you more and more
backwards in time. Such version of what "back" means would be fine
with me as well but would need more coding.

> On a side note, I find it slightly disconcerting that clicking "Navigate
> Back" in a document with no bookmarks and no recent edits opens the last
> edited document and jumps to the last edit point. Jumping to the last edit
> point in the current document, whenever that was made, would be fine, but
> jumping to a different document is a tad disconcerting.

Interesting, I thought it was a nice feature how to go quickly back to last
editing point when no document is opened. But I see it might be confusing
once new document is opened and no editing happened yet.