A general layout/ layout-less lyx file

Scott Kostyshak skostysh at lyx.org
Sun Sep 27 14:36:08 UTC 2020

On Sun, Sep 27, 2020 at 01:38:18PM +0300, email.ilan at gmail.com wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I maintain a file with many macros which I use in all of my projects.
> My projects usually differ in their layout (e.g., due to submitting to
> different journals) so I commonly get a warning of mismatch between the
> layout of the macros file and the layout of the project file.

Seems like a common workflow and I can see how that would be annoying.

> Even after I silence the pop-up message I see a warning in the LyX log and
> it causes the compilation to run much slower.

The "much slower" part is surprising to me. It could be a bug in LyX.
Could you please provide a minimal example where it runs much slower?

> Is there a way to define the macros file to be layout-less (since it is not
> a stand-alone file so I never compile it) or maybe define it to be of a
> user-defined layout that will be compatible with any article layout I will
> be using (of course, I guess I'll need to manually define and extend this
> list of compatible layouts).

Not that I know of but I think it's a good idea. We do have the concept
of "no color" and "no language". You make a good argument in my opinion
for something like "no class". A related idea we've discussed before in
different contexts is the idea that child documents could share document
settings of master documents. In this case, you want the child document
to inherit the document class of the master document. This is not
implemented yet, but there are a few different use cases we would want
that general framework.

Best,

Scott