bibliographic software (linux only)

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Fri Sep 11 17:02:11 UTC 2020

On Fri, 11 Sep 2020, Maria Gouskova wrote:

> I used JabRef and BibDesk (Mac OS) for years, and then KDE's KBibTeX, but
> lately I just open my .bib file in Vim. I found that KBibTeX screwed up
> the syntax of my file (which has something like 6000 references now, so it
> was painful to debug). In Vim, I see the syntax highlighting and it's easy
> to see and fix problems. Not super-helpful if you're looking for a GUI,
> but I just wanted to confirm that you are not alone in being frustrated
> with the available GUI options.

Maria,

Yes, KBibTeX messed up my bibtex file, too. I don't use Vim (a miserable
experience using a line-oriented editor (TDP) on an HP/3000 to write my
dissertation turned me off to line-oriented editors. I've been using Emacs
for about 25 years. I use emacs on my jabref.bib to clean up things, but
haven't looked for a way of searching the keywords for specific references.
And, it probably wouldn't enter citations and the reference in a LyX
document.

I think I've found a solution, and it might work for you, too: pubs
<https://github.com/pubs/pubs>. Will report after I read the docs and take
it for a test drive. Since there's so much wildland fire smoke here I'm
staying indoors (except to collect the mail when it comes). Visibility in
the orange air is not much more than 100 m.

Regards,

Rich