Aw: Re: Ligatures in the text

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Fri Oct 23 16:00:17 UTC 2020

On Fri, 23 Oct 2020, Virgil Arrington wrote:

> For what it's worth, Palatino was designed in such a way that it doesn't
> need "f" ligatures. Ligatures are used because the "f" clashes with the
> next letter. When Hermann Zapf designed Palatino, he designed the "f" in
> such a way that it doesn't clash into following letters; hence the "f"
> ligature isn't needed. This appears to be true as well of the various
> Palatino clones out there, such as Tex Gyre Pagella, URW Palladio, Book
> Antiqua, etc.

Virgil,

Thanks for the typography lesson. I read a couple of books on typography
about 25 years ago when I started using LaTeX/LyX for writing that leaves
the office. Palatino is my default typeface and I never noticed the lack of
"f" ligatures, only how attractive and easy to read it is.

Stay well,

Rich