Aw: Re: Ligatures in the text

Virgil Arrington cuyfalls at hotmail.com
Fri Oct 23 14:40:40 UTC 2020

For what it's worth, Palatino was designed in such a way that it doesn't
need "f" ligatures. Ligatures are used because the "f" clashes with the
next letter. When Hermann Zapf designed Palatino, he designed the "f" in
such a way that it doesn't clash into following letters; hence the "f"
ligature isn't needed. This appears to be true as well of the various
Palatino clones out there, such as Tex Gyre Pagella, URW Palladio, Book
Antiqua, etc.

I know that may not be a satisfactory answer when you really want the
ligatures. However, LyX and LaTeX provide beautiful ligatures with other
typefaces. One of my favorites is Libertine. It has the same basic
letter shapes as Times Roman but is not nearly as condensed making it
much more readable and very usable for a wide range of applications. It
also has true small caps and old style numbering and a companion sans
serif font in Biolinum. Libertine doesn't seem to have as much character
as Palatino, but then, that is another plus as readers aren't busy
noticing the font.

There is also a version that works very well with LibreOffice known as
Linux Libertine G. (Don't let the "Linux" in its name fool you; it works
on Windows as well.)

http://www.numbertext.org/linux/

Virgil