Tab autocomplete behavior in tables

Scott Kostyshak skostysh at lyx.org
Mon Nov 30 22:13:16 UTC 2020

On Mon, Nov 30, 2020 at 04:11:41PM -0500, Maria Gouskova wrote:
> Hi LyX users,
>
> I'm probably missing something obvious in Preferences, but I couldn't
> figure out how to turn off tab autocompletion for tables. I don't mind it
> in math mode, so it's checked, but I pretty much never ever want that
> behavior in a table. When I hit the Tab key in a table, I want to advance
> to the next cell, and not to see a drop-down menu of random words that
> start with the same string I just typed.
>
> so, how do I make Tab always advance to the next cell in a table?

I have similar preferences to you. We just had a similar discussion on lyx-devel:

  https://www.mail-archive.com/search?l=mid&q=20201120032750.3austjolf7ornvpg%40tallinn

You mention that you "don't mind it in math mode". If you also don't
mind *not* having it in math, then the solution is simple:

rebind <Tab>. The default binding is the following:

  "command-alternatives completion-accept;cell-forward;tab-insert;outline-in;depth-increment"

Just remove the "completion-accept" part in your rebinding.

If you do want to keep autocompletion for math, then things are more
complicated. I have a simple patch that does this, but you would have to
compile LyX with the patch. If you by chance use Ubuntu, I can compile a
.deb for you, but I can't compile for other platforms.

Scott