Ellipsis [FIXED]

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Wed Nov 11 01:21:28 UTC 2020

On Tue, 10 Nov 2020, Paul A. Rubin wrote:

> LyX translates an ellipsis (entered with Alt + . or via the Insert menu)
> to \ldots. (Note the final s -- not sure if your "\ldot" was a typo or
> whether you are not remembering the command correctly.) AFAIK, \ldots is
> defined in the LaTeX kernel and does not require loading a package. The
> same is true of \textellipsis.

Paul,

Interesting. Yes, \ldot was a typo as an ellipsis has three dots.

I didn't use the menu or Alt-.; I automatically open an ERT box (and still
strongly dislike that name) and type the command. But \textellipsis, \ldots,
and \ellipsis all produced the same compilation error, built-in or as a
loaded module.

Just now I killed the ERT box and used alt-. which displayed the ellipsis
and was accepted by pdflatex.

This leads to my suggestion that the next release of LyX accept the ERT
commands as well as the keyboard chord and the menu item. Some older foggies
like me are touch-typists and still enter LaTeX commands directly. Doesn't
seem to me that allowing these would take anything away.

Thanks for the solution,

Rich