LyX acting differently between computers

David Chan david.c.chan at gmail.com
Thu Nov 5 17:03:43 UTC 2020

> Message: 2
> Date: Wed, 4 Nov 2020 20:10:27 +0100
> From: Kornel Benko <kornel at lyx.org>
> To: lyx-users at lists.lyx.org
> Subject: Re: lyx-users Digest, Vol 58, Issue 8
>
> Am Wed, 4 Nov 2020 09:27:16 -0800
> schrieb David Chan <david.c.chan at gmail.com>:
>
> > > Add the line
> > >         \default_view_format pdf2
> > > to file 'preferences'
> > >
> > >         Kornel
> > >

> > Thanks very much Kornel!
> >
> > I have found the file `preferences.txt` in Library > Application Support
> >
> > LyX-2.3, and I have added that line to it. I then reconfigured LyX.
> > However, when I look in Preferences > File Handling > File Formats, I
> still
> > can't find pdflatex.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Dave
>
> 1.) I wonder about the name 'preferences.txt'. In case this is wrong, look
> at
>         Help->About LyX->user directory
>     The preferences file should be in this directory
> 2.) Add the line there (After the line with 'Format 34'
> 3.) No need to reconfigure. You have to restart lyx though, so lyx can
> read preferences
> again
>
> 4.) If that does not work, check the log-file 'configure.log' (in the same
> directory)
>     Should contain the lines
>         INFO: checking for the pdflatex program...
>         INFO: +checking for "pdflatex"...  yes
>
>         Kornel
>
> Thanks again Kornel!

Here are some quick responses:
1. The directory is indeed the user directory in About LyX.
2. I see in the preferences file the line "Format 24" but no line "Format
34." I added the line

 \default_view_format pdf2

after this line, but it didn't seem to do anything upon restarting LyX.
4. When I look in configure.log in the same directory, I do see these lines

INFO: checking for the pdflatex program...
INFO: +checking for "pdflatex"...  yes
DEBUG: Add to RC:
\converter pdflatex   pdf2       "pdflatex $$i"
"latex=pdflatex,hyperref-driver=pdftex"

Thanks,
Dave