LyX shortcuts

Wolfgang Engelmann engelmann at uni-tuebingen.de
Thu Nov 5 14:13:39 UTC 2020

Am 05.11.20 um 13:33 schrieb Daniel:
> On 2020-11-05 10:06, Wolfgang Engelmann wrote:

>>> The status bar is where you see "Font: Default" with an empty document
>>> open. When I take the steps you did I see:
>>>
>>> Action: Paste text with the mouse
>>> Status bar text: "Paste (paste ⌘V, ⇧Ins)"
>>>
>>> which indicates that the paste keyboard shortcut is are ⌘V and ⇧Ins (on
>>> Mac).
>>>
>>> Action: Make text bold via the shortcut (on mac ⌘B)
>>> Status bar text: "Font: Bold"
>>>
>>> So, it seems if I trigger an action via the mouse, the shortcut is shown
>>> while when I already know the shortcut and press it, the shortcut is not
>>> shown. Makes sense to me.
>>>
>>> Similarly: if you press the Emphasis toolbar button with the mouse, the
>>> keyboard shortcut is shown, while if you press the shortcut it is not
>>> shown.
>>>
>>> Daniel
>>
>> "where you see "Font: Default""
>>
>> Where should I see it?
>
> See the attached screen capture. If you work in full screen it might be
> hidden depending on your setting of Hide Statusbar in Preferences >
> Editing > Control.
>
>> Let's take another example:
>> I would like to use a Bookmark
>>
>> I do
>>  >Navigate>Bookmarks>Save Bookmark1 and I am told to use ^ + F1
>>
>> How do I invoke the status bar and how do I get this shortcut ^ + F1
>> into it?
>
> The status bar is always there (with the restriction mentioned above).
> The status bar will show the shortcut briefly if you click on the menu.
>
>> Finally I would like to have a status bar shown with a number of often
>> used shortcuts in it at which I could click after having selected a
>> marked sequence of words or whatever, or after being at a certain
>> place in the document where the action (bookmark1) should be triggered
>
> Currently, the status bar only shows the shortcut for the command
> issued. I guess what you would like to see is often used commands and
> their shortcuts (maybe depending on the context). I don't think this is
> currently implemented but it might be a good idea, so you could file an
> enhancement request.
>
> I seem to remember LyX showing possible shortcut keys in the statusbar
> once a modifier key was pressed but cannot see this currently (at least
> on macOS).
>
> Daniel

Thanks again, Daniel, for your patience and for the screenshot. How did
you get the Font:Default line with the red rim? If I go to the lower
part of the lyx screen and press the right mouse knob, I can select out
of a large number of offers, including 'other toolbars' which shows
again quite a number choices. What did you choose to get this red framed
inclucion and what do you do with it? (remember, I would like to see
some of the often used shortcuts).
Sorry, I am afraid I am boring most of the list memebers. May I right
you privately, to clarify this and I report on the outcome (if there is
one)?
Wolfgang