How to get different change tracking colors for different authors

Richard Kimberly Heck rikiheck at lyx.org
Sat May 30 19:17:02 UTC 2020

On 5/30/20 5:44 AM, Daniel wrote:
> On 2020-05-29 13:24, list_email at icloud.com wrote:
>> LyX 2.3.2
>> macoS 10.11.6
>> PDF viewer Skim
>>
>> When change tracking is enabled, insertions are shown in LyX as
>> underlined blue and deletions are shown in a slightly lighter shade
>> of crossed-out blue. But in the PDF, insertions are in blue, no
>> underlining, and deletions are crossed-out red.
>>
>> I’m on a second revision of a manuscript. I want to keep the changes
>> from the first revision and also view changes to the second revision,
>> but in different colors, both in LyX and PDF. I see that I could make
>> myself the second author, as that author is set up for different
>> colors. How do I do that? I see the Identity item in Preferences but
>> it doesn’t seem to have any effect. And the docs seem a little shy on
>> this topic, as far as I can tell.
>>
>> BTW the manual says that to get changes to appear in the output one
>> needs dvipost. Seems a little stale and no mention of PDF which
>> output seems to appear without adding any packages.
>>
>> Jerry
>>

> Hi Jerry,
>
> Unfortunately, changes to the Identity in the Preferences work only
> after a restart of LyX. And the different colors for different
> identities you get in the work area this way, are not visible in the
> PDF output. I don't think different colors for different authors in
> the output are supported currently.

The author is output with the command, so one can redefine \lyxadded or
\lyxdeleted to do something with it. The default is just:

\DeclareRobustCommand{\lyxadded}[3]{{\color{lyxadded}{}#3}}

\DeclareRobustCommand{\lyxdeleted}[3]{{\color{lyxdeleted}\lyxsout{#3}}}

and the LaTeX looks like:

\lyxadded{Richard Kimberly Heck}{Sat May 30 19:14:07 2020}{this is a
change}