Let it run

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Fri May 1 07:10:46 UTC 2020

On Thu, 30 Apr 2020 22:29:04 +0200
Daniel <xracoonx at gmx.de> wrote:

> Hi
>
> I have a large document that takes more than 10 minutes to compile.
> In between LyX seems to stop the process to ask me whether I want to
> "Let it run" or "Stop it". Is there a way to turn this dialog off?
> Otherwise, I always have to attend to LyX while waiting for the
> typesetting to finish.

When you say "large" document, what do you mean? How large is large?
Are you doing graphical conversions on huge graphical files? Is this
thing the size of the Encyclopedia Britannica?

I have a LyX source document for a 309 page book that compiles to PDF
in ten seconds. The source file is 1.23MB. Here are my computer's stats:

2 core, 65 watt AMD A6-6400K 2core that runs at about 3Ghz, 16GB RAM,
lots and lots and lots of disk space, with /usr being an SSD, about 5
years old now. Void Linux. Not an ancient cripple, but by no means
state of the art.

I think your first question isn't "how can I turn off the dialog", but
"why does this compile take so long, and what can I do about it?"

SteveT

Steve Litt
March 2020 featured book: Troubleshooting: Why Bother?
http://www.troubleshooters.com/twb