How to change paragraph spacing of Standard paragraph style in UI only?

Richard Kimberly Heck rikiheck at lyx.org
Fri Jun 12 04:41:58 UTC 2020

On 6/12/20 12:07 AM, Steve Litt wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I think I knew this once, but long since forgot. For the style of
> readability optimal for me, I need paragraphs of Standard paragraph
> style to be both indented and separated, *in the LyX User Interface*. I
> tried doing it in my existing layout file, like this:
>
> Style Standard
>   CopyStyle Standard
>   ParSep -5ex
> End
>
> Is the preceding correct? It did the right thing in the UI while
> leaving the PDF unchanged. Was the use of CopyStyle necessary or even
> correct? Is there a better way to do it?

You don't need CopyStyle here. If the style already exists, then it is
modified rather than re-defined. CopyStyle is useful when you want to
mostly mimic some other style.

ParSep here is just given as a float, and it's treated (I think) as a
multiple of the line height. So try something like "ParSep 2". You might
also want to give ParSkip, which works the same way, but applies to the
distance between Standard paragraphs and ones of other layout types.
ParSep, on the other hand, applies to paragraphs of the same type. See
Help> Customization, section 5.3.7.