How to extract only used references from a bibtex file

list_email at icloud.com list_email at icloud.com
Thu Jul 9 10:20:38 UTC 2020

> On Jul 8, 2020, at 5:05 AM, list_email at icloud.com wrote:
>
> I am preparing to send tex files, graphics files, etc. to a publisher. I think there should be a way to send something less than my entire bibtex file to them. Is there a way to easily extract only the references that I am using for this paper into a separate bibtex file or is there some other way to do this? I notice that when I compile the tex file (using Texnicle on MacOS) something called a .bbl file is generated that contains only my used references but is is different from a .bib file. I suppose this is best posted to a latex list. :-/
>
> Jerry

Thanks, Jürgen and Riki—all suggestions are spot on, especially drawing my attention to the aux file. However, I discovered a neat function built into BibDesk, the nice bibtex manager for MacOS. The menu command is “Select Publications From aux File.” After doing selecting the aux file it is just a copy-paste into a new blank .bib file.

Thanks again,
Jerry