How to extract only used references from a bibtex file

Richard Kimberly Heck rikiheck at lyx.org
Wed Jul 8 15:55:50 UTC 2020

On 7/8/20 9:33 AM, Jürgen Spitzmüller wrote:
> Am Mi., 8. Juli 2020 um 14:06 Uhr schrieb <list_email at icloud.com
> <mailto:list_email at icloud.com>>:
>
>     I am preparing to send tex files, graphics files, etc. to a
>     publisher. I think there should be a way to send something less
>     than my entire bibtex file to them. Is there a way to easily
>     extract only the references that I am using for this paper into a
>     separate bibtex file or is there some other way to do this? I
>     notice that when I compile the tex file (using Texnicle on MacOS)
>     something called a .bbl file is generated that contains only my
>     used references but is is different from a .bib file. I suppose
>     this is best posted to a latex list. :-/
>

> Does one of these advises help?
> https://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/41821

There's also the simple tool aux2bib, which is in the bibtools package.
Just run it on your aux file.

If you have the option just to include the bibliography in the document,
then you can use the include_bib.py script that ships with LyX. Create a
new format LaTeX (With Bib). Mark it as a document format and check
"Show in export menu". Then make a converter from LaTeX (pdflatex) to
LaTeX (With Bib). Converter command is:

python -tt $$s/scripts/include_bib.py $$i $$o

and make the flag "needaux". You'll also want to make sure it is enabled.

Now you should be able just to export to this format, and the
bibliography will just be included in the document. No need for an
external bib file.