Lyx 2.3.5.1 and 2.3.5.2 won't open old files on Mac

Richard Kimberly Heck rikiheck at lyx.org
Wed Jul 1 14:53:16 UTC 2020

On 7/1/20 6:59 AM, Niklas Huldén wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I installed LyX 2.3.5 in June on my MacBook Air 13 (Catalina) and
> noticed that I could not open files from the "Recent files" list in
> the File menu. The program opened an empty document with the name of
> the recent file. I could open old documents using the "Open.." choise
> from the menu.
>
> When I installed version 2.3.5.1 I hoped this behaiviour would have
> been corrected, but now I could't even use the "Open..." choise. It
> allways opens up an empty file with the name om the file that should
> have opened. Same with version 2.3.5.2 that I installed today. For
> some reason I can open the default Splash.lyx that sits on the "Recent
> files"
>
> I have backupped my Preferenses file and started up an default version
> of LyX but the same behaviour continues. What could be the reason for
> this? Have anyone had similar problems?

If you can open LyX from a terminal, with argument "-dbg files", you
might get more information. You can also  do this by opening the
messages pane (View> Messages Pane) and activating "files" debug
messages. (Go to Settings on the pane, click "Selected" then choose
"files").

I would guess there is something wrong with the path that LyX is getting.